Boarding for Cats and Dogs

Boarding Establishments for cats and dogs must be licenced by the local council. The keeping of such premises is defined as the carrying on at any premises (including a private dwelling) of a business of providing accommodation for other people's cats and dogs. There is no legislation regulating the boarding of other types of animals.

A Veterinary Consultant and Licensing Officer inspect on application.

All licensed boarding establishments within the district are subject inspection by a Licensing Officer on annual renewal of licences  and a interim, 'spot check' inspection at some point throughout the licence period.

All licenced boarding establishments must comply with Rochford District Councils standard conditions for boarding establishments and may be subject to additional conditions as specified by the council.


Animal Boarding Establishments  Act 1963.

Issuing Department


Financial Requirements

Please see schedule of fees in Related Content.  You will be invoiced for any Veterinary Consultants fees if a vet has been asked to attend the premises inspection.  A Licence will not be issued until all fees have been paid.

Expiry Date

All Animal Boarding Establishment Licences expire annually on 31st December.

Renewal Of Licences

It is an offence to carry on the business of boarding cats and dogs without a current licence. Therefore licence holders must apply for renewal of their licence at least 2 months before their licence expires.