What is Crimestoppers?
Crimestoppers is an independent charity that runs the 0800 555 111 number which allows people to call and give information about crime and criminals anonymously. They do not ask your name and never try to trace or record a call. You will not have to give evidence in court.
Why call Crimestoppers?
We are all concerned about crime in our local communities but instead of staying silent there is something you can do about it. The police cannot solve crime on their own they need help from the public. Sometimes they know who the criminals are but don't have enough evidence to make an arrest. Information that comes from Crimestoppers can often be the missing piece of information that will help them make an arrest. Anyone who has information about crime and wants to do more to make their community safer should call Crimestoppers.
Is there a reward?
If the information leads to an arrest and charge the person who made the call to Crimestoppers could get a cash reward. This is paid in such a way that also protects the caller's identity. Even so, very few callers ever claim rewards from Crimestoppers. The vast majority of people just want to pass the information on and are satisfied that they have done something to fight crime.
Is there another way I can give information to Crimestoppers without calling the 0800 555 1111 number?
Yes. If you have access to a computer you can visit the 'Most Wanted Website' (please see the Related Content section) which shows people who are wanted for questioning by the UK's police forces. You can give information on anyone you recognise on the website by completing an online secure form, which is also anonymous or you can give information using the 0800 555 1111 number.
10 Facts about Crimestoppers
1. 95,338 arrests and charges have been made
2. 1,107,516 actionable calls have been received
3. £110 million of goods have been received
4. Around 19 people are arrested every day and 23 cases cleared up as a result of information given to Crimestoppers
5. In 1988, Crimestoppers received just under 5,000 calls with useful information-last year over 41,800 such calls were received
6. 'Most Wanted' section of the website established 3 years ago has already resulted in over 500 criminals being arrested as a result of information from the public to Crimestoppers.
7. There is a Crimestoppers 24/7 Call Bureau ensuring calls can be answered round the clock, 24 hours every day
8. In 2008 Crimestoppers launched a new text number to receive information about who is carrying knives in schools and colleges-Know Someone with a Knife? Txt:88551
9. Crimestoppers has over 400 people volunteering their spare time to help fight crime in the UK
10. Crimestoppers has established the Integrity Line for private companies to pass on information about crime and wrong-doing in their industry
If you have any information about a crime or criminal and want to remain anonymous please call Crimestoppers 0800 555 1111 (24 hours a day, 7 days per week).
Know someone with a Knife? Text 88551* Include their:
1. Name and/or nickname
4. Area and/or postcode
Your text can't be traced and it cannot be replied to
Delete the sent text from your sent box
*(text charged at your standard network rate)