Permitted Industrial Processes

Under the Environmental Permitting Regulations 2010 some industrial activities require a permit. These permits set out conditions to keep any air, land or water pollution the activity may cause to a minimum.

Large industrial activities are issued permits by the Environment Agency, these are called Part A1 permits. But we are responsible for the regulation of some of the smaller ones known as A2 permits and Part B permits.

In our District we regulate over 20 businesses, which are Part B. These include petrol stations, vehicle and aircraft sprayers, concrete crushers, dry cleaners and a fish bait manufacturer.

Our officers work closely with these companies to help improve their environmental performance and to make sure they comply with the regulations. We are also required to report annually to the Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra), on the type of business that we regulate.

Do I need an Environmental Permit?

We have listed some of the most common activities that require a permit below, but a longer list is in the Related Content section.

If your business carries out one or more of these activities, you may need a Permit. It can be an offence to carry out these activities without a permit, so please contact us for advice if you think your business might need one.

Some common activities include

  • Dry cleaning
  • Petrol Station
  • Spraying of vehicles
  • Handling of bulk cement
  • Mobile crushing and screening
  • Coating of metals and plastics
  • Manufacture or treatment of timber and wood-based products
  • Small waste oil burners

Please be aware that you may still need to get planning permission, regardless of whether your business requires a Permit.

What if I already have a permit, but want to make a change to my activities?

If you are a business that already holds a permit, and want to make a substantial change to your activities, you are required to apply for permission to do this. This is called a variation and application forms is in the Related Content section.

Please contact us if you are not sure whether you need to apply for a variation.

Fees, and Risk rating

All regulated activities are required to pay an annual fee. The annual fees are set by Defra. Information, about these fees can be found using the ‘Environmental Permitting Fees and Charges’ in the Related Content section. If you want to pay your annual charge please see the link in Related Content ‘Pay your annual charge’

Your business will be inspected to see what risk your activities are to the environment, and you will be given an annual risk rating.

If your business is run to a very high standard, then you will be given a medium or low risk rating. This is because you are less likely to cause harm to the environment. It also means that you will pay less in fees because you will not need to be inspected so often.

If you are given a High risk rating you will pay more because you will need to be inspected more often.

Further information on risk rating can be found on the Environmental Permitting fees and charges in the Related Content section.

Making an Application, or commenting on an application

You can apply for a new permit or a variation of an existing permit by using the link in Related Content.

If you would like to see what businesses currently hold a permit, or whether a permit has been applied for in your area, you can view a copy of the public register in the Related Content.

Or if you require any further advice you may contact us by phone on 01702 318111 and ask for Environmental Health, or contact customer services